Re: CVS frank tetex-base: - add symlinks so that files in /usr/share/texmf/etex are found

On 02.08.04 Frank Küster (frank@debian.org) wrote:
> Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> schrieb:
> > On 02.08.04 teTeX CVS (jdg-tetex-cvs@debian.org) wrote:

Hi Frank,

> >> Modified files:
> >> 	debian         : rules
> >>
> >> Log message:
> >>     - add symlinks so that files in /usr/share/texmf/etex are found
> >>
> > Could you give me a short example, what didn't work before these
> > links were created?
>
> $ ls /usr/share/texmf/etex/latex/misc/etex.sty
> $ kpsewhich etex.sty
> /usr/share/texmf/tex/elatex/misc/etex.sty
> $ ls -l /usr/share/texmf/tex/elatex
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           27 2004-08-02 14:40 /usr/share/texmf/tex/elatex -> /usr/share/texmf/etex/latex

Yes, sure. kpsewhich didn't found that
/usr/share/texmf/etex/latex/misc/etex.sty. I'm sure that has changed
between teTeX 2.0 and 3.0. It was found by elatex, but not by latex,
even if latex is a pointer to etex.

> Without that symlink, etex.sty would not be found. I didn't try,
> but I also created a symlinks for plain/base and plain/config.
> latex/config only contains elatex.ini, which obviously has been
> found even previously:

I was rather asking: Could you give me a minimal TeX file, which
compiles with that symlink, but don't without?
etex.sty seems to be necessary to e-TeX, so nevermind.

H.
--
A little inaccuracy sometimes saves tons of explanation.
		-- H.H. Munro, "Saki"