Errors when using arabtex together with utf-8

Package: arabtex
Version: 3.11-1
Severity: normal

Hi Clint,

The debian-tetex-team got a bug report about arabtex not working
together correctly with utf-8 inputenc from ucs. The original posted
example was similar to the attached assimil1.tex. I constructed then
another minimal example (assimil.tex), which shows the same
behaviour.
The original submitter contacted then the upstream author of arabtex
and got the statement, that the bug has been fixed in latest patch
level of arabtex. I can confirm that assimil.tex now compiles.
assimil1.tex builds as long as \usepackage{babel} is commented out.
So this could be a babel bug. Unfortunately even updating babel to
v3.8a didn't help. I guess, you should contact Klaus Lagally to
clarify that.

Further: on my arabtex installation exists an empty dir
/usr/share/texmf/tex/arabtex .

Regards,
  Hilmar
--