update-updmap vs. updmap --enable

Hi all,

That issue came to my attention lately. Actually we add external map
files the following way:
- drop it into /etc/texmf/dvips
- drop the entry, which should be added to updmap.cfg, into
  /etc/texmf/updmap.d
- call update-updmap and updmap

The last two steps could be done in one:
- call "updmap --enable Map xyz.map" (or "updmap --enable MixedMap
  xyz.map", depending on what kind of map that is).

That will add an entry for that map-file into updmap.cfg and call
updmap. The entry can be disabled using "updmap --disable xyz.map".
It will not be deleted from updmap.cfg, but just commented.

Is there any specific reason, why we do it the first way instead of
using the mechanisms provided by updmap? The policy says:

,----
| 2. The owning package should also provide a program that the other
| packages may use to modify the configuration file.
`----

but I think "updmap --(en|dis)able" fulfils that requirement.
Just for the archive: if we change that -- the affected packages
would be: arabtex hlatex thailatex.

H.
--
Quantum Mechanics is a lovely introduction to Hilbert Spaces!
		-- Overheard at last year's Archimedeans' Garden Party