makeindex

Can someone please explain me why I observe the following behaviour
of "makeindex":

- according to makeindex(1) there is an option "-L" which sorts based
  on the current locale setting and which depends on HAVE_SETLOCALE at
  compile time (if present uses "strcoll()" for string comparison
  instead of internal functions and "strcmp()").

- "makeindex -h" shows:
  Usage: makeindex [-ilqrcg] [-s sty] [-o ind] [-t log] [-p num] \
   [idx0 idx1 ...]
  (note: no option "-L")

- but "makeindex -L ..." does not show the message "Unknown option
  -L." like it IMHO should after having a look at the source file
  "mkind.c#215"

So, is "makeindex" in the Debian package compiled with "-L" enabled
or not?

If yes, why don't I see the option "-L" included in the usage (see
"mkind.h#356ff"?

If not, why don't I get the expected error message "Unknown option: -L"?

Michael
PS: Please CC me.

mw@miwie:/home/mw/work/tex-refs > dpkg -l tetex-bin
ii  tetex-bin      2.0.2-10       The teTeX binary files
--
mw@miwie.in-berlin.de                              http://www.miwie.org
mw@miwie.org