Just some questions and remarks.

Dear all Debian LaTeX users and TeTeX maintainers,

I really appreciate the effort and the quality
of the TeX/LaTeX environment packaging in Debian.
It has achieved a lot of progress since their born.
But I would like to know why there are still outdated
version of some base files w.r.t. the CTAN archive.
Specially I notice that there are no utf8.def available
by default as it is in LaTeX2e base now and the version
of the frenchb of babel is quite old.
Is this a consequence of the fact that the LaTeX files
are coming from the TeTeX tarball and not directly from CTAN?
Is there a reason for this? Is there really no way to have
something more close to CTAN with a kind of "update-*" command?
I mean a script "update-latex" that updates the local LaTeX
installation from a CTAN repository. This may become a
way to reduce the size of tetex-base.
I know that there are no standard way to make LaTeX
"extensions" (package/style/class ...) distributable,
so the process of their installation is not uniform.

Best regards,
Patrice Duroux.