Installation Problems: tetex-bin (2.0.2-20)

Dear Sirs,

several times I tried to install this package I get the message:
---------------
Richte tetex-bin ein (2.0.2-20) ...
Regenerating /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf ... done

An essential entry in /etc/texmf/texmf.cnf is wrong. Fixing

Regenerating /var/lib/texmf/web2c/fmtutil.cnf ... done
Regenerating /var/lib/texmf/web2c/updmap.cfg ... done
Running initex. This may take some time. ...
fmtutil: config file `fmtutil.cnf' not found.
dpkg: Fehler beim Bearbeiten von tetex-bin (--configure):
Unterprozess post-installation script gab den Fehlerwert 30 zurück
I deinstalled the package, removed the /etc/texmf folder and tried
again...and again it fails!

Can you help me or fix the post-installation script? I need this package
and have made the mistake to use the unstable tree...Perhaps you can
tell me, hodw to install an older version?

Many thanks for your work! May this mail be helpful...

Best regards

S. Harden