Re: Use etex instead of tex?

Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> wrote:

> As you've read in dctt it's rather easy to do. The configure-script
> of tetex-bin knows an option --with-etex=tex. In this case the
> traditional Knuth TeX is not built at all and even /usr/bin/tex
> points to etex. I don't know if this is a good idea. I thinks thats
> to radical.

Yes, I think we should keep Knuth's /usr/bin/tex. Firstly because I
think it's good to have it, and second because this is how it will be in
tetex-3.0.

> I'd rather change only the two links /usr/bin/pdflatex
> and /usr/bin/latex (and adapt fmtutil.cnf) and leave the rest
> untouched.
>
> Suggestions, hints?

If you provide a patch, I will integrate it.

I won't have time to do any Debian work the next 7 days - I'll travel to
Würzburg this evening, and I'm going to celebrate my marriage on
Saturday. Monday will also be needed for cleanup and travelling home.

Abt. Biophysikalische Chemie