Re: Should we move texmf.cnf back to /etc?

On 25.03.04 Frank Küster (frank@kuesterei.ch) wrote:
> Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp> wrote:

Hi all,

> > Anyway I might be reluctant to use the ucf for texmf.cnf
> > but not object to it.
> >
> > I guess Hilmar's comment if any might help Frank ;-)
>
> Hey Hilmar, help here!

ucf seems to be necessary to get a smooth upgrade from non-.cnf to
.cnf below /etc/texmf/texmf.d. So OK.
I don't understand the reasons, to put texmf.cnf back into /etc/texmf/
and under control of ucf, completely. If that file is generated and
the sources are below /etc everything should be OK. IIRC there are a
few other files of that kind -- /etc/modules.conf and
/lib/modules/modprobe.conf come to my mind. Who cares about
fmtutil.cnf?
But, anyway. If they think this is more user friendly (and at the
first glance this is the case, for users who are not able to read) --
why not? If they provide patches -- far better. It seems to simplify
the code of our postinst-scripts. :-)
Well I understand the reason, that texmf.cnf is overwritten without a
warning, but it is sitting in /var and therefore nobody should touch
it manually.
I've not yet read the policy completely. Maybe they are right from
the view of the policy. In this case I'd say: Frank go ahead! It
seems you've done that already anyway. ucf 1.00 has your bugs fixed,
so we should Depend on ucf >= 1.00.

H.
--
There's only one way to have a happy marriage and as soon as I learn
what it is I'll get married again.