Re: Should we move texmf.cnf back to /etc?

From: Frank Küster <frank@debian.org>
Subject: Should we move texmf.cnf back to /etc? (was: CVS frank tetex-bin: added ucf support. It's tested and works, but not all md5sums have been added so far)
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 17:39:47 +0100

> Hilmar Preusse <hille42@web.de> wrote:
>
> > I guess, you've seen #196582?
>
> I wasn't aware of it, now I had a look. The patch fits well into my
> scheme. However, Atsuhito was reluctant to apply it.
>
> I didn't read every word of the lengthy discussion in this bug report,
> so I might have missed something. But I didn't quite understand why we
> shouldn't do it that way. The benefits I see:

Basically, I prefer a simple mechanism.

I didn't investigated your changes yet but if files
under texmf.d/ were handled with ucf then I saw some
duplication to handle texmf.cnf which was simply generated
from files under texmf.d/

The most basic problem I'm afraid is, if a user edited
/etc/texmf/texmf.cnf manually then ucf would ask a user
to overwrite it or not with the default answer "No", but
this could cause some installation failure of TeX related
packages if he/she has no luck.

But if there is clear, reasonable advantage to handle texmf.cnf
with ucf then I wouldn't object it.