Re: lmodern fonts and sarge

On 30.01.04 Florent Rougon (f.rougon@free.fr) wrote:

> Hmm. You can always install software from source. IMHO, it is
> easier for the tetex maintainers to add a package to Conflicts:
> than for many more or less beginner LaTeX users to install the
> various types of files related to a font family the Debian way
> (which involves creating himself a file in /etc/texmf/updmap.d,
> running update-updmap, mktexlsr and updmap).

Well, I think there are a lot of guides in the net, which describes
how to install a Postscript font. That update-updmap etc. is
described in Readme.Debian. But this statement is very IMHO.

> It's not like every LaTeX user knows perfectly what sty, fd, tfm,
> pfa, pfb, afm, pfm, enc and the various types of map files are for
> (not to mention mf and pk for Metafont fonts),

see above. There are font installation guides.

> *and* would not be misled by a documentation about a slightly
> different TeX distribution (e.g., teTeX 1 or even teTeX 2 without
> the Debian update-updmap stuff, and, well... all the non-teTeX TeX
> distributions).

we're speaking about teTeX2, right? Yes, I guess there are font
installation guides in the net, which refer still to teTeX1, which
makes the job not less complicated.

> Did I mention the fact that they should also know they shouldn't
> modify files like /etc/texmf/dvips/psfonts.map even though these
> are under /etc?

psfonts.map is generated. There is a little note in the header of
that file, so no problem. Another map-file (e.g. txfonts.map) is
normally not modified, but may be modified to get another behaviour
of dvips.

>   4. Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software

Correct. I just wanted prevent, that the packages gets arbitrarily
complicated.

H.
--
When the speaker and he to whom he is speaks do not understand, that is
metaphysics.