Re: libkpathsea3 incompatibility problem

Julian,

> There's a major problem with the new tetex-* packages, and in
> particular with the new libkpathsea3 package.  Because upstream broke
> binary compatibility with previous versions (and as they have stated,
> they are not yet supporting the building of libkpathsea as a shared
> library), there are now several packages which are broken because of
> this (all of which have been Bcc'd on this email):

[...]

> So now what do we do?  Presumably, all of these packages will break
> once the new libkpathsea3 is installed, so here are the obvious

Erm, if upstream doesn't officially support building the library shared,
why do they dictate the soname version then? After all, the soname
version is the version of the library interface and only used for shared
libraries.

If you change the soname version, it would be a good thing to
synchronize this with the other distributions in order to not break
cross-distro binary compatibility (I wonder if the other distros also
have the library shared, if not it might be better to have the lib
static as well so programs compiled on Debian will run there).

   Simon

--
GPG Fingerprint: 040E B5F7 84F1 4FBC CEAD  ADC6 18A0 CC8D 5706 A4B4