Re: 85Misc

From: Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmul.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: 85Misc
Date: Wed, 4 Sep 2002 10:51:55 +0100

> > It seemed that the original texmf.in contained the
> > following line;
> >
> > TEXMFCNF = {$SELFAUTOLOC,$SELFAUTODIR,$SELFAUTOPARENT}{,{/share,}/texmf{-local,}/web2c};$TETEXDIR;$TEXMF/web2c;@web2c@
> >
> > and the last two elements $TEXMF/web2c;@web2c@ would
> > generate the duplicated /usr/share/texmf/web2c perhaps.
> >
> > I will fix this in the next upload and thanks for your
> > advice.
>
> Please don't "fix" this.  If you read the comments before the variable
> definition, this variable is not actually read at run-time, only at
> compile time.  So it is best if it left exactly as it is, unless, for
> some reason, the original texmf.cnf.in in the source code needs
> changing.

Okay but I suspect that you might misunderstand the meaning
of my fix.

I didn't mean to change texk/kpathsea/texmf.in directly
but I did mean to change texmf.d/85Misc which is completely
irrelevant to compilation, that is, at compile time the
generated texmf.cnf in texk/kpathsea will be used as before.

If TEXMFCNF isn't read at run-time as you explained then
there might be not so much difference between the current 85Misc
and the modified one, but at least from esthetic point of view,
no duplication might be better.

Am I missing something important?

Best regards,			2002/9/4

 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@debian.org>