app-default file for xdvi?

Hi,

I'm running the Debian Woody distro thingy.  I've been
trying to install the tetex-base and tetex-extra
packages, but I always always get the following error
(on a blue screen, no less!):

could not find app default file for xdvi

and then the installation squawks and quits.  As a
consequence, I can not latex any of my documents
(forget even xdvi'ing them)..

please, if you can offer me any hints as to how I
might rectify this, I would be most appreciative.

Thanks,

Trinity