Q about the importance of /usr/share/texmf/fontname/special.map?

The hebrew-latex installation directives requires to append some lines
to /usr/share/texmf/fontname/special.map. The lines are of the form:

	fontname  public  hebrew

Can I write those lines to /usr/share/texmf/fontname/hebfonts.map? I mean will
Latex search for those fonts if they are not in the special.map file?

Can someone write a short explanation about the special.map file?

The main problem with appending those lines to /usr/share/texmf/fontname/specia
l.map is that this last file is part of another package (tetex-base) and will
be over written when it is upgraded.
--

	Shaul Karl <shaulka@bezeqint.net>