Re: dvipdfm

Greetings, and thanks for your reply!

Julian Gilbey <J.D.Gilbey@qmw.ac.uk> writes:

> On Thu, Mar 15, 2001 at 11:34:48AM -0500, Camm Maguire wrote:
> > Greetings!  I just submitted a dvipdfm package, with a diversion of
> > the dvipdfm.defs file in the tetex latex tree, when I found in the
> > packaging manual that I should consult with you first!  Sorry for the
> > oversight -- this is my first 'diversion'.  So is this OK?  It really
> > doesn't seem appropriate to use an alternative, as tetex has no binary
> > of dvipdf?, and dvipdfm needs this file to work properly.
>
> Is the dvipdfm.defs file in the tetex packages adequate?  If it's not

Well, I don't think so.  The author has added functionality to include
more types of graphics files -- I think for example that eps and/or
png inclusion isn't supported by the stock tetex file, but is by the
file shipped with the distribution of dvipdfm.  The INSTALL file
specifically instructs the user to replace the dvipdfm.defs file in
their standard TeX distribution with the new one.

> needed by any of the tetex binaries, perhaps the tetex packages should
> just remove the file, and your package should say:
>
> Depends: tetex-base (>= 1.0.7+whatever-foo)
> Replaces: tetex-base (<< 1.0.7+whatever-foo)
>
> where 1.0.7+whatever-foo is the version which no longer has the .defs
> file.

That's fine with me, of course.  Is this preferred to a diversion?  If
you want to go this route, please let me know what the first
tetex-base version without the dvipdfm.defs file is.

Take care,