Re: #debian-tetex is not exactly hopping....

"AB"  == Adrian Bunk <bunk@fs.tum.de>
"CMC" == "C.M. Connelly" <c@eskimo.com>

    CMC> So it's 11:39 PM PST, and Christoph and I are the only
    CMC> people on #debian-tetex....  Who called this meeting,
    CMC> anyway?!  ;-)

    AB> Sorry, it was my mistake not to think of that when I was
    AB> saying that it's 8 o'clock for us in Germany it's 23
    AB> o'clock for you _the day before_.

Yeah, I figured it out.  Maybe we should only use UTC times and
dates or something, to avoid that happening again.

    AB> There are currently two possibilities:

    AB> - We try to find another time to meet in IRC.

Okay, if necessary -- I'm not sure how much gets done on IRC
versus e-mail.  What might be useful for everyone on the list
would be if you could share a summary of the IRC session with the
list.  (If you send me a transcript, I'll summarize it and post it
to the list.)

    AB> - We communicate through the WikiWeb and tetex.debian.net.

That's okay, too.  One reservation I have about doing things
through dynamic websites is that there's no record, and
participation is limited to people who know about them.

I think they're fine for quick status updates and comments
(especially tetex.debian.net), but I also think that more detailed
policy-type issues might be better discussed on the list, where
people can be a bit more long-winded and also know that their
comments will be recorded in the list archive.  Down the road,
someone might wonder why we did something one way rather than
another -- if the descision was worked out on a dynamic webpage
that's now long gone, they'll have no way to find out; if the
discussion took place on the list, it will (presumably) still be
available in the archive.

    AB> Christoph is making task-tex ready and I'm preparing a new
    AB> upload of the tetex-* packages that include all the fixes
    AB> mentioned at tetex.debian.net.

Sounds good so far -- are you including those man pages I wrote?
(Please do!)  I'm also interested in working on the Debian teTeX
FAQ (which should have pointers to other help resources in
addition to Debian-specific stuff).  The best to way to deal with
the teTeX FAQ might be to put a first draft up on the web
somewhere (on Debian's site; or I could put it on my site),
reference it in the README in the teTeX packages, and then flesh
it out as bug reports come in and people comment directly on it.

Also -- any thoughts on creating some sort of tetex-update package
with newer LaTeX packages.  I know that Atsuhito Kohda does
something similar for debian-jp (with the newer LaTeX); maybe we
could just include the newer packages, and not duplicate packages
already in tetex-base or tetex-extra, which would make
tetex-update smaller and less of a hassle to download.  I have
more thoughts on this (as, I suspect, does Atsuhito -- we talked
about it on the list last year).

    AB> Sorry!  Adrian

No problem -- I was pissed at first, but then I realized what had
happened.  I guess that's one of the hazards of having a worldwide
organization.  At least I got my comments on the bugs.

   Claire

 Behind the counter a boy with a shaven head stared vacantly into space,
 a dozen spikes of microsoft protruding from the socket behind his ear.
   C.M. Connelly               c@eskimo.com                   SHC, DS