Re: xdvi of tetex-bin in potato

From: Denis Barbier <barbier@imacs.polytechnique.fr>
Subject: Re: xdvi of tetex-bin in potato
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2000 09:48:15 +0200

> > Perhaps there is almost no time left for us but the modification
> > itself is very simple and safe.
> >
> > If there is no reasonable objection here, could someone upload
> > modified tetex-bin to potato?
> >
> > Of course I can build modified tetex-bin but as I am not a
> > developer yet so it is rather troublesome.
>
> So do i, sorry.
> I sincerely hope someone could help you.

Thanks.  Perhaps all of you undersatnd already but I repeat
main points again.

The command name 'xdvi' is standard so I wish Debian could
provide 'xdvi' as the default command for Japanese users.
But at present in POTATO xdvik-ja provides 'xdvi-ja' as the command
name so Japanese users should use 'xdvi-ja' to preview Japanese
DVI files.

And in WOODY it is almost certain that we can provide 'xdvi'
as the default command for Japanese users too with the alternatives
method suggested by Denis so, from the view point of consistency,
it is very desirable to provide 'xdvi' in POTATO too.

Please note that the same method of alternatives does not work for
POTATO because of xaw-wrappers.

Furthermore it is not difficult to achive this, it is only
necessary to modify xdvi script of tetex-bin in POTATO as

if [ X$LANG = Xja_JP.ujis -a -x /usr/X11R6/bin/xdvi-ja.bin ] ; then
exec xdvi-ja.bin $NAMEOPT ${1+"$@"}
else
exec xdvi.bin $NAMEOPT ${1+"$@"}
fi

I guess that everyone here can understand what it does.
I have tested the modified xdvi and even am testing it right now
and it works fine!

So I wish someone who is already a Debian developer or very
near to Debian developer will upload the modified tetex-bin
to POTATO as soon as possible!

It will really help many Japanese users of Debian, I believe.

> PS: if nobody answers, you could write a script, say xdvi-config,
>     to let xdvi switch between teTeX xdvi and xdvik-ja.

I see, thanks for your advice.

Best Regards,			2000.7.21

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>