Re: author causes error with amsart

From: "C.M. Connelly" <c@eskimo.com>
Subject: Re: author causes error with amsart
Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 17:57:28 -0700

>    AK> I thought it was not so clearly explained but I could see
>    AK> the discussion in instr-l.tex.
>
> It's not explained very clearly.  But I just finished editing the
> third edition of George Gratzer's new book, _Math into LaTeX_,
> which has a lot of material about the AMS document classes, so
> it's in my head (I think George's book has a whole chapter on AMS
> top-matter commands alone).

I see.  I do not know that book but it seems very interesting.

> I agree.  I'm not sure that the new behavior isn't a side effect
> of a change made for some other purpose, though.  (I didn't really
> try to figure out what the change did, just did a diff to see that

Yes, there is little possibility that it is not an intentinal
change and only a side effect of other changes.

> there is a change.)  You might want to let the AMS folks know that
> the behavior of the \author command has changed, in case they
> didn't change the behavior on purpose.

Okay, I will ask them on this issue later.

>    AK> BTW, don't you (Amercan and/or European) think this change
>    AK> so inconvenient?
>
> I think it's part of the price you pay if you choose to use the
> AMS document classes.  Personally, I really dislike the way they
> format things so I never use them (I think maybe they're too
> old-fashioned for my tastes).  I don't actually write anything
> that requires much in the way of mathematical notation, so I just
> use LaTeX's article document class for most things.  I could, and
> probably should, make up my own modified class to change some of
> the stuff I don't like about the article class, but I haven't
> actually done so yet.
>
> You probably know that you don't have to use the AMS classes to
> get all the advantages of the AMS mathematical stuff -- you can
> just load the packages: amsmath for basics, amsthm for theorems,
> amssymb for additional symbols, amsfonts for access to the
> AMSFonts (amsfonts may be automatically loaded by amsmath).

I think almost in the same way as you do and never use amsart
etc. but use article class with amsmath etc.

To tell the truth, the article with the problem is not of my
own but of someone else and I was asked if this was really
a problem or not.

Thanks for your suggestions and comments.

Best Regards,			2000.5.31

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>