Re: Open issue: MakeTeXPK

C M Connelly writes:
> Christoph Martin <martin@uni-mainz.de> writes:

>> There were several proposals how we can solve this, with a
>> suid-perl script (which was somewhat deprecated from tex people
>> because they don't want all the people to install perl) or with a
>> setgid script and a special group.

> Not a solution (I'm on the way out the door), but there are some
> Perl scripts included with teTeX right now, meaning that teTeX
> probably should depend on Perl, which would then free us to write
> any Perl scripts we like.  ;-)

Just don't expect them to be included in the web2c stuff...

> To be fair, though, those Perl scripts are pretty peripheral --
> Thomas' scripts are all written as Bourne[ Again] shell scripts.

They're Bourne shell scripts, and even so avoid using constructs that
some of the older implementations lack.

What I'd like to do is put the necessary code in libkpathsea, so the
scripts are no longer needed.  But I also want to retain the ability
to call external programs, so that (for example) you could set things
up to call a setgid kpsewhich with the necessary options to generate
fonts, rather than require all programs to be setgid.

--
Olaf Weber