Re: LaTeX/AMS-LaTeX Update Approach

Hi all,

Sorry but I read the original mail on http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/
so this is not an reply in fact but I quite agree with Connelly's
idea.

> and AMS-LaTeX code is infrequently updated).  That leaves teTeX
> users with a difficult decision to make: Stick with the older
> LaTeX and AMS-LaTeX distributions for the sake of easy maintenance
> or do a fairly significant amount of work to update those
> distributions themselves.

Yes this is really a big problem for me and I proposed
an update of LaTeX in debian-devel@lists.debian.org some
times ago but unfortunately it was not accepted.

> format files during the installation process.  I suggest that
> these updates be installed in a third texmf tree (perhaps
> something like /usr/share/texmf-debian), and that the installation
> process would update the teTeX configuration files to add that
> tree to the search paths, presumably between /usr/local/lib/texmf
> and /usr/share/texmf (so that local files would still override the
> official system files).  Dependencies could be set up so that

I think this is good and realistic approach for update of
LaTeX and AMS-LaTeX.

In fact I have maintained latex-cur (of 1999/12/01 version)
and amslatex-cur (of 2.0) for Debian JP but they uses naively
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/199912base/ and
/usr/share/texmf/tex/latex/199912amslatex/
so users should remove them when tetex packages are updated.

It might need some extra works for the Debian teTeX maintainers
but I think it is well worth doing so.

Best Regards,			2000.5.16

--
 Debian JP Developer - much more I18N of Debian
 Atsuhito Kohda <kohda@pm.tokushima-u.ac.jp>