Re: Thunderbird in debian-testing

Hello Keith,

Thanks for your reply, but I'm not talking about buster here :) I moved from buster to testing (bullseye).

The question is how buster has through security channels the 1:78.3.1-2~deb10u2 and testing left behind. See the link below.
https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/thunderbird

Other than that, I know how to run the most recent Thunderbird version, but I want to do this through apt.

So, is there a plan? Why security in testing left so much behind compared to buster?

Pavlos

--
Pavlos Ponos

Visit my Linkedin profile and my blog
Privacy isn't about hiding bad things.
It's about protecting what defines us as human beings.

Protect yourself by using TOR browser, OpenPGP encryption, Jitsi Meet & Signal
Save your money by using a Linux distro & an open-source Office suite

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 7:10 AM Keith Bainbridge <ke1thozgroups@gmx.com> wrote:
On 14/10/20 2:32 am, Pavlos Ponos wrote:

> Recently I upgraded with a clean installation from buster to testing
> (bullseye). In buster Thunderbird version was 1:78.3.1-2~deb10u2
> (through security channel).
> In testing I saw that Thunderbird is in 1:68.12.0-1,

Pavlos

I thought you'd had a response, but I can't see them now.

I just wanted to relate my experience. I'm running Buster by way of
Linux Mint Debian Edition: with backports enabled by default. I think
sometimes that backports is the default/preferred, but I'm not sure
where to check.

I have had many instances of tbird loosing track of it's profile, to the
point where I now specify the profile in the start menu.  The tbird
version installed is 78.3.1.  Perhaps an update/upgrade will get you to
that version?

Alternatively, download the latest version from mozilla. I tend to try
alpha/beta versions of non-system stuff. My tbird is 82.0b2, and another
update pending I see. The downside to this is I do have to manually
update outside of apt.  I run a small collection of software from a
separate partition on a multi-boot system. That way, I don't have to
install these into my several systems. I have consistent programs
running quickly while I'm playing around - even in VMs

Best

--
Keith Bainbridge

ke1thozgroups@gmx.com