Problem with upgrade-from-boot-legacy

Hi all,

I have a problem with grub during an upgrade from Lenny to Squeeze.
However, I've fixed the problem, but I am curious about what went
wrong and if I should do more than what I did.

Basically, the upgrade according to the Squeeze release docs went off
without a hitch -- all ok.  And then I reached the step where I was to
confirm if chain loading worked and indeed, all seemed ok.  So, I
issued the "upgrade-from-boot-legacy" command.  I actually issued it
twice since I had checked all the boxes the first time and got an
error; repeated it with one less box checked and all seemed to work.
Rebooted and it didn't come back.  On the screen was just the word
"GRUB" with nothing else; I couldn't type.

I rebooted with the Squeeze RC1 install disc and attempted a rescue.
I booted into / (mainly because I couldn't boot into any of the others
and have a shell) and found out that /boot was empty...  Also, grub-pc
wasn't installed [shouldn't it be?].  So, I installed that and copied
the linux kernel from another amd64 computer.  Rebooted and all worked
fine; that is when I found out that /boot exists as another partition.
 I didn't notice this because someone else installed Debian lenny and
I'm taking over system administration duties [yes, not good of me to
have not checked before I did the upgrade].

I've upgraded a few times before, but always on machines that I
partitioned myself.  Well, I mean on machines that I know well.  There
are probably many other differences between the machines, but is it
possible that this problem arose because of /boot being in its own
partition?  Should I remove the /boot on the / partition (the one
where I installed grub-pc and copied over the kernel by hand)?  Not
too sure if it is safe to do so, but also don't want to make my
problem bigger...since it works, I'm tempted to leave it alone.  :-)

Thank you!

Ray