In Squeeze: Bug in xserver-xorg-video-radeon / xserver-xorg-video-ati ?

My system is the Acer Power F5, graphics card (onboard) according to the Gnome Device Manager, is:

RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200]

When switching to graphics mode, no matter whether the GUI is started through with or with startx, the machine totally hangs, it is even impossible to switch to the console with Ctrl-Alt-F1.

Under kernel 2.6.26-2 it happens often,

under 2.6.30-1 and 2.6.30-2: *always*.

I have the testing distribution on two other machines, an even older Acer, and a 8375 Laptop, both do not have any problem to start Gnome.

So I had the idea that there may be a bug in the X Server, regarding radeon cards.

I did successfully following experiment: with dpkg --force-all --install I downgraded to lenny the packages

xserver-xorg-core, xserver-xorg-video-ati, and xserver-xorg-video-radeon

Now of course there are some problems, for example Gnome does not go to a resolution higher than 800x600, but it looks relatively normal, and the *machine does not hang* and it works even with the newest kernel 2.6.30-2. After a reboot, mouse and keyboard will no longer work, however Ctrl-Alt-FX still works; I can switch to the console, log in as root and do everything.

Now I have again the X Server packages from squeeze, by apt-get -f install and apt-get dist-upgrade. Now I want to file a good, qualified bug report, however I do not have much ideas and knowledge what information I should search in my system before I file the report.

David