/proc/acpi/battery lost in testing

I'm using Emacs (versions 21, 22, 23 --not important for this problem)
on my T42 laptop and it uses /proc/acpi/battery to display battery
status in the mode line.

Last night I made one of my infrequent updates and mode line stopped
showing battery status. The reason, AFAIU, is that battery.el in Emacs
needs /proc/apm or /proc/acpi/battery to learn battery status, but
these files are not there. (I'm using ACPI, not APM.)

I can use
$ acpi
from the shell and it shows the battery status as it should be.

Is there another package which has this functionality now?

Should I file a bug?

Best Regards,

E.

--