Problems on Lenovo R61

I recently received a new Lenovo R61 laptop at work.  I decided to
install Debian Lenny on it.  I have mainly two problems which I cannot
solve using Debian kernels:

1. The Debian kernels have a bug in the ata_piix module which causes
   the R61 to complain about the cdromdrive.  This was solved by
   recompiling the Debian kernel using the vanilla kernel's ata_piix.c
   code.

2. On all the kernels I have tried (Debian's 2.6.24.7 and 2.6.25.2,
   Ubuntu 2.6.24.3 as well as the vanilla 2.6.25.3) I had problems with
   the network card: intermittend network connection on the wired NIC
   ( Intel Corporation 82566MM Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)).

   From time to time my network connection just dies and I have to
   restart network-manager or /etc/init.d/networking again.

Any idea how to fix problem number 2?

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman
      that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the
      word of truth."              II Timothy 2:15