Debugging apt's dist-upgrade decisions?

Hello

When trying to upgrade a desktop system apt-get was about to remove 192 packages.

* First problem was that I had a /etc/apt/preferences that contained backports.org
  entries. It would be good if at least "apt-get dist-upgrade" warns because it took
  me a while to remember that the pinning overrides the version numbers

* Second problem is that there are still ~100 packages marked for deletion. Most of
  them are probably ok but for some I would like to know how apt-get came to this
  decision. Is there some flag that lets apt-get say "x conflicts with y, removing y"?

bye,

-christian-