Re: Error installing packages in Etch

On Aug 22, 2006, at 5:44 PM, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:

[I posted this in Debian User, but received no response, so am posting here.
I hope I'm posting in the right place.]

OK, I'm at a loss here.

I installed Etch, everything went fine. Now that I've booted up, when I try
to install a package, I run this, for example:

apt-get install openssh-server.

But I get this error (for this, and any package I try to install):

dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute new pre-installation script: permission
denied
dpkg: error
processing /var/cache/apt/archives/openssh-server_1%3a4.3p2-2_i386.deb
(--unpack): subprocess pre-installation script returned error exit status 2 dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute new post-removal script: Permission
denied
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2

Then of course, I can't try to install anything else, because it thinks the package is in a half-installed state, and it says to try reinstalling before
uninstalling, and of course I can't install it, so I have to resort to
manually editing /var/lib/dpkg/status.

So....any ideas? Anything obvious I missed? I've never seen this using dpkg before. And of course, I'm running as root, so what's up with permission
denied? :)  Is it not setting +x on the scripts?

Just a guess.... I have had bizarre errors that made no sense when a partition was filled up. I don't remember if it was /tmp or /var. If du -h shows 100% used on a partition, fix that and try again.