Re: Advice regarding testing

Clive Menzies wrote:

On (11/01/06 22:52), Hans wrote:
For some time now many KDE-related packages are missing from testing (eg. K3B, Rosegarden4, etc.). I really want to upgrade my testing-system, so what is the best solution?

1) pin down packages in dselect, which are going to be deleted, with =, then upgrade 2) use apt-pin and upgrade from testing/unstable (http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html)

I rather not use unstable, but apt-pinning stable/testing seems a little late now as I last updated October, which would mean downgrading to stable. I have very little experience in this field, so any advice would be welcome. Thanks.

Downgrading is not recommended; it can be done but not for the
inexperienced or faint hearted.  You say you don't want to run unstable
but it sounds as though you'd be better off with unstable (a mixed
system is more tricky to administer).

If you are keen to learn and use caution and common sense sid can be
useable and more stable than other so called stable systems.  Use
aptitude for upgrading your system and install apt-listbugs; between
them they will help you avoid a broken system or installing packages
with critical bugs.

If you've been using stable for a while and comfortable with debian, it
is not a big step.  It took me about 9 months of running stable as a
newbie before I decided to take the plunge.  I chose sid rather than
testing because problems tend to resolve more quickly in sid.

Good luck

Clive

Good advice, thank you. I've been using Debian for seven years now, mostly stable and since a year testing. My needs are not great: I can do with stable for most packages, just the few I want fairly new (not bleedig edge, otherwise I would install from source).

I've been happy with testing, and I understand the issues with it right now. I really want to avoid the semi-broken state it is in now once it happens again. I will check apt-listbugs, but my fear is that once I go up to unstable I can't go back if that gets broken (which it will, one day). You say that you use apt-listbugs to avoid a broken system or installing packages with criticl bugs. What is your method of pinning them down? Using "=" in dselect? (Sorry, I am stubborn: I learned to use dselect when I started with Debian and I'm too lazy to learn something new. dselect just works for me, so why change? :-)

Hans