Re: Torrents dying at nearly the right file size?

On Fri, Feb 03, 2006 at 01:21:49PM -0600, Peter Seebach wrote:
> I'm trying to download Debian test images for PPC, using bittorrent.  The
> small image comes through fine.  The large images both come out at about the
> right size (I can't get any more specific on what size they should be than
> "4.3GB" and "4.4GB"), but BitTorrent declares that they are dying.  Their md5
> sums are incorrect, and I cannot get BitTorrent to continue them.  The file
> check gets past about 95% without problems, then BT tries to connect to the
> tracker a few times, eventually asserting that the image died 6 times and has
> been added to the dead list.
>
> This has happened twice, leading me to suspect that there is some specific
> cause for this.  I originally thought it was because of a recent update to the
> torrents that happened right around when my first download failed; now I
> don't think that's it.
>
> The client is the generic python bittorrent, running on NetBSD.  I've never
> had problems with it before, although I am not sure I've previously used it on
> files over 4GB.
I'm not sure whether or not this is right for this list; it just may
be.  But I suspect it just a bug in the torrent packages.  What
torrent are you using?  Have you tried other torrent pacakges?  Could
you ask the torrent maintainers whether 4GB files will work?

; 2**32/1e9
        4.294967296

If they're not using long long integers (unsigned I guess), then this
will break.

Justin