apt-get dist-upgrade broken: udev

Last night I was brave and attempted an apt-get dist-upgrade before I went to sleep. When I woke up this morning, the program had exited on an error.

The error was in installing udev_0.068-2_i386.deb -- it complained that it needed a kernel >= 2.6.12 to install, and promptly quit. I assume that the specified kernel is part of the dist-upgrade, but I cannot find a kernel-image-2.6.1[2-9] debfile in my /var/cache/apt/archive directory.

I did find kernel-package_9.007_all.deb and installed it (with dpkg), but it doesn't look like it provided a new kernel (my grub menu has not been modified).

apt-get -f install chokes on the same error with udev, as does dkpg -i --force-depends udev.... .

I'm currently running in single-user mode, and hence my productivity is as if I were only one person. Please assist!

-Brandon