gcc 4.0 and kernel building

Hello.
I just updated my Sarge laptop to Etch, and everything works fine (specially
Xorg!), except that I could no more build my own kernel (2.6.11):
during the "menuconfig", there were many warnings, during the "make" too and
errors.
As I noticed gcc 4.0 had been uploaded to Etch, I changed the defalut gcc and
cpp version back to 3.3.6, by changing the gcc and cpp soft links targets.

I tried again to build my kernel, and everything went fine.

So, two questions:

-was it the best solution to switch back to gcc 3.3, and was editing the links
the right wayto perform this?

-I assume I am not the only one who experienced such problems: maybe is this
worth a bug report?