Re: Do not empty the RAM

On Tue, 2005-09-06 at 18:52 -0400, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> your system.  You know that it fills up the RAM completely if you start
> using swap space.  That is when you might want to worry.

That's not quite true, either, really, unless you've set vm.swappiness
to 0.  Since you are using BT, you probably have a lot of accesses to
the HDD and swappiness allows the system to swap out running program
memory (that has been inactive for a while) and replace it in RAM with
disk cache to speed up access for programs in more active use.  Usually,
if there is something to worry about, you can find out about it by
running lavaps and looking for overly large blobules (representing
processes that have taken up a huge amount of memory (java is often on
that list for me)).  There are other programs such as top or
gnome-system-monitor that will also make this information available, but
I thought I'd point out the one that looks the best :) )