Re: PLAN failed strangely (wes: PLAN: surviving a Windows reinstall.)

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 01:38:31PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> I'd like to thank you all for your advice on by boot floppy troubles.
>
> I've decided on a plan of action.

Which went astray in an unexpected manner.

> I would appreciate comments about it, preferably comments that will
> help me not screw up.

long description about making boot floppies, installing file system drivers,
reconfiguring boot managers, etc. deleted.  All of this worked perfectly,
leaving me with bootable woody, bootable sarge, and the broken Windows ME
I originally needed to reinstall, and boot floppies that will survive the
Windows reinstall.

> Reinstall Windows.

This is where it all went wrong.  The Windows ME installer refused
to recognise the way the C: partition was formatted -- even though
it had originally created and formatted the partition a year or so ago.
Telling it to go ahead and format it again didn't work,  It did format C:
while I had dinner, and even reported there were no bad blocks and the
right partition size, but afterward it again refused to install for the
same reason.

Has there been anything over the ages that maked Linux's partitioning
incompatible with Windows ME's?  Long ago, the Windows partition was
creted by thw Windows ME installer, and all other partitions were created by Linux.
I left a guard cylinder between the start of the extended partition and the
dirst secondary partition, because I have found tht helps prevent patitioning
fights between Linux and Windows about the secondary partitions.  But are
there other known incompatibilitues bwtween Linux and ME?

Is there any diagnostic information I should gather?  how?

Or is this a subtle indication that my hard disk is failing?

-- hendrik