Re: Getting Debian Sarge to full software RAID-1; 4 GB virtual memory...

On 17-Mar-05, at 3:09 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:

On Thu, Mar 17, 2005 at 04:29:03PM -0500, Frank P. Hart wrote:
[...] I don't know anything about RAID.

One other question: I have 2 GB of DRAM and I specfied a 2 GB swap size. I'm hoping to get 4 GB of virtual memory. But I used a tool by DJ Delorie (used previously in Cygwin) that says I only have 2 GB of virtual memory. I'd appreciate some suggestions on how to fix this, too, or other (more reliable?) ways to check the amount of virtual memory Debian thinks it has
available.
Just run top; it has a status line which tells you the amount of real
and nonreal memory.  Add them together to get virtual.

or 'free', but top is prettier. 'free -t' will even do the math for you. :-D

/proc/swaps lists active swap partitions; and,
/proc/meminfo lists more info about physical memory than I know what
to do with..

...like most of what's in /proc. ;-)

-- Jeremiah Merkl
-- Department of Information Technology