Re: md5sum for weekly images ?

Hello masters of ftp.acc.umu.se, one of the users of the CD images
available from your file server [0] has inquired about the
availability of MD5 checksum files for the weekly unofficial Sarge
image.  Are these files available from your host (or elsewhere)?

[0] http://ftp.acc.umu.se/pub/cd-images/debian/

Thanks,
Justin

<<<<<<<
Its quite possible that they're not generated, or not stored
publically.  I'm copying the ftpmasters of that site to inquire.

I might also add that md5sums are only marginally useful unless
they're cryptographically signed.  TCP transport already uses a
checksum, and if you successfully download a working 700MB image, then
you can be moderately confident that it transferred successfully.
With a gpg signature, you additionally have the metaphorical "word" of
the signer: "This is a valid file and it has not been modified by
anyone I don't trust, since it is stored on my own host ...".  Such a
signature prevents, for example, a trojan copy of the ISO from being
stored on an alternate site, or DNS spoofing to "fake" the host from
which you retrieve the file.