Re: Security of Debian Testing

--- Justin Pryzby <justinpryzby@users.sourceforge.net>
wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 12:04:18PM +0000, Floris
> Bruynooghe wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 23, 2005 at 11:14:28AM +0000, Bob
> Hutchinson wrote:
> supported by the
> of the Debian to
> > >
> > > I run servers on both testing and stable and the
> security updates
> > > are the same on both, as they both come from the
> same place, deb
> > > http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main
> contrib non-free
> >
> > Erm, afaik this line won't do anything on your
> testing machines...
> > Only packages witht the stable version number will
> get uploaded into
> > this archive.  The apt system will not consider
> these security
> > updates as it has more recent versions of the
> packages from you
> > testing archive.  That's whats meant with "there's
> no security
> > support for testing" I thought.
> Right.  A testing machine won't usually see stable's
> security uploads,
> because usually the testing version is already
> higher than the stable
> version (because of some other update made in the
> last 3 years:).
>
> You have to know the history of testing for this to
> all make sense.
> Testing was an experiment that Andreas Barth (I
> think) set up, and
> which eventually became "official", and quite
> popular.  It allows
> bug-free uploads to become quickly available (more
> quickly than
> stable), while buggy ones are left to sid.
>
> Uploads go directly to unstable (after all the archs
> are compiled, or
> something).  And after some conditions are met
> (including a minimal
> waiting period), they are *automatically* propogated
> to testing.  (See
> packages.qa.debian.org for testing migration
> status).
>
> Because its automatic, its kind of nonsensical to
> support testing WRT
> security.  Most of the time, a security-related
> upload will go to
> unstable, and (oftentimes) the only changes made
> will be for security.
> So, if you run testing, and you want a given
> security update to a
> given package, you can probably just do "apt-get
> install
> foopkg/unstable" (this assumes that you have an
> unstable source
> available; read about apt pinning for how to make
> multiple versions of
> the distribution available and assigning different
> priorities to
> them).
>
> (The security team also makes the same security
> uploads for stable,
> which become availabe from security.d.o.  Here,
> though, the changes
> are *guaranteed* to be security only.)
>
> A week later, when that version of that package has
> [...]

I used Jigdo to create the ISO files (all 14 of them).
 The iso name is "sarge-i386-1.iso".  What is the
difference between the OS I install from this disk,
and "testing"?

I asume I would be running "testing" since Sarge is
not "frozen", but if and when Sarge is "frozen" will I
then be running Sarge?  If not, how do I convert my
"testing" box to stable Sarge when it is released?

I hope this is making sense and I am not completely
miss-understanding.  I'm sure you all have a lot to do
and to be bugged with these questions can be annoying.