Re: Torrent client kills my sound

On Tue, 2005-01-04 at 17:14 +0100, Vegard Lundby Rekaa wrote:
> Hi List.
> This is the third time I've had a Linux OS where a torrentclient has
> stopped the sound. It's beginning to bother me. Today I run Debian Sarge,
> earlier I had Debian Sarge and Mandrake 10.0.
>
> What happens is: I extract the folder containing the bittorrent-client
> Azureus, and start the program. Automaticly it starts a configuration.
> After this first run, the sound disappears after a reboot. I'm not getting
> any good errormessages to post here (regretfully). If I try to increase
> the volum in the upper right corner of the gnome desktop, the volum drops
> down to zero.
>
> When I encountered this problem in Mandrake, I removed Azureus, which gave
> me back the sound, but with much disturbance in the quality. Changing to
> alsa (from oss originally) the sound worked again, as long  as I did not
> start azureus again.
>
> Yesterday I installed bittornado-gui using apt-get, which killed the sound
> just like azureus once did.

Okay, quick question. Are your network and sound cards using the same
IRQ? (as in IRQ sharing)

> Is there a conflict between the sounddrivers and bittorrent client?
>
> I have Creative SoundBlaster AudioPCI128 soundcard...

I have numerous versions of this card, all work perfectly well with
bit-torrent clients. Except on one machine where they can't share an IRQ
due to the chipset not handling properly.

If this is the case (sharing an IRQ), I'd suggest moving the card to
another slot in you machine.

another thing: give us a dump of "lspci" and "cat /proc/interrupts"

Reply back to this list NOT me directly. It will be ignored if done so.
--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

The technology that is
Stronger, better, faster: Linux