  testing/etch "Etch" - official snapshot i386 Binary-1 (20051010)

Date: 10/21/2005, c.1am

Machine: Dell Dimension 4600

Partitions: df output:

Filesystem	1K-blocks	Used	Available	Use%	Mounted on

/dev/hdb1	7740352		512644	6834520		7%	/

tmpfs		257696		0	257696		0%	/dev/shm

Base System Installation Checklist:
[O] = OK, [E] = Error (please elaborate below), [ ] = didn't try it

Initial boot:      [O]

Detect network card:  [O]
 (if it was correct)
Configure network:  [E]

Detect CD:  [O]

Load installer modules:  [O]

Detect hard drives: [O]

Partition hard drives: [O]

Create file systems: [O]

Mount partitions: [O]

Install base system: [E] (lots of stuff not installed)

Install boot loader: [O]

Installed system ok: [O]  (says ok but it's not)

Comments/Problems:

boot: expert (so I could see more of what was going on, having had a lack of success before)

Detect Network Hardware section
Modules to load: e100 (Intel 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller)

(windows xp  lists this as: Intel PRO/100 VE Network Connection)

Configure the network section
Installation setp failed
failing step is:  Configure the network

Installed Grub on hda (windows xp drive)

skipped to Check CD-ROM integrity: CD-ROM is valid

Save debug logs:	web (network not working so this didn't work either)
			mounted file system: "50% done" then it goes back to the DI menu (but you
				can still see the uncompleted progress bar behind it)

Finish Installation

Now there are duplicate linux line options on the menu, probably from previously installed linux kernels. Seems like the old kernels and line options should have been wiped out when I reformatted hdb. Also, Windows is the last, non-default option again (not good for my household). Have had to fix this many times, once after each attempted install. Should definitely be an installer question: "Which should be the default boot line?" Also how many seconds to wait. If you're trying to make it usable for the average user, editing /boot/grub/menu.lst is WAY to much to expect.

Base System Configuration

Add apt source: mirrors.kernel.org (not available since there's no network connection)

Select and install packages

* Desktop Environment
* Standard System

(accepted these defaults)

Exit Base Config System

Reboot

tty1 login prompt - no graphic login!
network access problem fixed by editing /etc/network/interfaces and adding:

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet dhcp

and running ifup -a

ifconfig reports network is up and running on eth0.

reboot:

NFS common utils: statd takes a long, long time.

Extra info:

Sarge installs fine on my system (except of course for not letting me choose what OS is the default
and how long I've got to choose).

(Was not able to update to Etch by changing to testing repositories. One problem being bad locales. Had to delete

locales.gen and recreate it using dpkg-reconfigure locales. Using that tools doesn't work without deleting the file first because it says the file is broken. I think I had to --reinstall locales as well using apt-get. Too
many dependency problems to make it work after that, though.)

The log files are messed up because I was not able to use a mail program to send this message under Etch. Had to

save them to a DOS disk and mail them from windows. Hope they're usable. Not sure where to look for the

installation debug logs which never seemed to really be saved anyway. I can look if anyone tells me where.

--
Please make sure that the hardware-summary log file, and any other
installation logs that you think would be useful are attached to this report.

******************************
Originally I pasted these files into my list posting, but perhaps it made the message too large. In any case the message didn't show up on the list, so I'm reposting it here without the logs files. Let me know if it would be helpful for me to try reposting any of these in a follow-up.

hardware-summary: attached to submit@bugs.debian report
messages log file:  attached to submit@bugs.debian report
status: attached to submit@bugs.debian report
syslog: attached to submit@bugs.debian report

Once you have filled out this report, mail it to submit@bugs.debian.org.

sent to:

submit@bugs.debian.org
debian-testing@lists.debian.org

If anyone can tell that something is a new bug, let me know and I'll try to figure out how to submit it right.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions that might help.

Dave
thunker at cruzio.com