Re: adduser asks for password 6 times, am I owned????

Sorry, bit of a knee jerk reaction to what I saw on the screen
and didn't put my brain in gear before hitting 'Send".

System:
Debian Testing (Etch).
adduser    Version.    3.67
System upgraded from Sarge.
About 18 months since installation.
Updated daily.
System is a combination Desktop/Server.  It gets a good workout
with me trying different packages frequently.

User Level:
Newbie = 0
Guru = 10
Me = ~3.5

I am happy to supply any output requested.

I ran chkrootkit - nothing found except false positive for bindshell.

I think  Johann is on the right track.

In /etc/pam.d/passwd I have...
=======================
#
# The PAM configuration file for the Shadow `passwd' service

@include common-password

#added by me
password required       pam_cracklib.so retry=3 minlen=6 difok=3

@include other
========================

I can't recall why I added the password required
line, something to do with Samba??

Regarding my experience level, pam is a mystery to me.

In /etc/pam.d/common-password there is only one un-commented line

password   required   pam_unix.so nullok obscure min=4 max=8 md5

In /etc/pam.d/other I have:

@include common-auth
@include common-account
@include common-password
@include common-session

So common-password is being called twice, is it not?

Thanks for the help so far.

Regards