Re: Dependency Problems

On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 03:12:00PM -0500, Benjamin Pharr wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 09, 2005 at 03:14:52PM -0400, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > The uninstallable packages /sounds/ like a transition issue, except
> > that my understanding is that these should not affect testing (other
> > than preventing migrations for a while).
>
> What's the easiest way to roll back to the old glibc? Any idea when
> this bug will be fixed?
If you have multiple "distributions" (stable/unstable/testing) in
/etc/apt/sources.list, then you can add libc6 (which is the name of
the binary package; glibc is the source package from which libc6 is
compiled) to /etc/apt/preferences:

  Package: mingw32-binutils
  Pin: version a=3.4.2-1
  Pin-Priority:  999999

  Package:  *
  Pin:  release a=testing
  Pin-Priority:  1003

(Change the package name, and the release name, as per taste, and the
a= quantity).

Then you can downgrade (which is not generally supported, but will
probably happen to work):

  apt-get install glibc=2.3.2-11

(or whatever the version is).

Otherwise, you can manually download the right libc6 .deb from a
mirror, and use apt/aptitude "hold" feature to prevent it from being
upgraded, and then just dpkg -i it (this is less safe than using apt
pinning, since dpkg Does What Its Told, and libc6 isn't a package you
want to have in an inconsistent state).

Justin