Re: Using CD drive results in system freeze

On Wed, Jun 08, 2005 at 10:38:59PM -0700, Marc wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently running testing.  Today I tried accessing two CDs I
> burned via Windows, and while accessing both CDs Debian completely
> froze; I had to hard-reset each time (I've only used the CD drive
> before to access the install CDs).  The first time Debian froze I had
> just run "mount /cdrom" (since the CD hadn't mounted); the second time
> the CD appeared to mount, but while I was looking at the properties of
> /cdrom in the file browser, the machine completely froze.  In neither
> case could I switch to a terminal, ssh in, or use the keyboard.
>
> I haven't fiddled with the CD drive configuration at all since
> installing.  The drive is a standard Dell CD drive from a year or two
> ago, and fstab has the line, "/dev/cdrom      /cdrom          iso9660
> ro,user,noauto          0       0".  The system log showed no error
> reports, and I'm using kernel package 2.4.27-2-k6.
>
> I'm relatively new to Debian; any suggestions for what I should check
> / modify / do differently to attempt to prevent this in the future?

Probably bad CDs and/or outdated firmware on your CD drive.  I
occasionally have the same problem.  Check your syslog from right before
you rest.  If you see lots of DMA errors, then that is the culprit.  You
can also try forcibly removing the disc (e.g., by poking the release
hole with a paperclip).  A few seconds after that your system should
return to normal, allowing you to run dmesg in a terminal to see if you
were getting DMA errors.  Regardless, the issue you are having is with
media/hardware.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez