Re: [Release Notes] Use Woody's or Sarge's aptitude for upgrades?

On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 07:44:37PM +0200, Adeodato Simó wrote:
> * Adrian Bunk [Mon, 16 May 2005 18:14:20 +0200]:
> > On Mon, May 16, 2005 at 05:58:24PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
>
> > > The current version of the release notes tells users to (simplified):
> > > 1. apt-get install aptitude
> > > 2. change the /etc/apt/sources.list to point to "stable"
> > > 3. aptitude update
> > > 4. aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade
>
> > > Therefore the question if it would be better to change the procedure to:
> > > 1. change the /etc/apt/sources.list to point to "stable"
> > > 2. apt-get update
> > > 3. apt-get install aptitude dpkg
> > > 4. aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade
>
> > OTOH, at least in the woody installation I tried this,
> > "aptitude -f --with-recommends dist-upgrade" works fine.
>
> > It seems aptitude in woody has a better Conflicts handling than apt in
> > woody making the first step easier for users.
>
>   So, to make that clear, you're proposing the following:

I'm not proposing anything since I don't know enough about these issues
for giving any recommendation.

All I said was that the way you proposed seems to be worse than the
currently documented way (at least in my test cases).

>   Note that in (4), the command is aptitude, not apt-get.

Does this make any difference?

>   BTW, why "change sources.list to point to 'stable'" instead of
>   'sarge'? Probably there'll be a reason I'll love to here, but all are
>   disadvantages to me, e.g.:

I'd agree that "stable" is a bad choice since this will lead to people
accidentially upgrading to etch (without reading the etch release notes
telling them how to do it best).

>   Cheers,
> Adeodato Simó

cu