Re: Re: Getting Debian Sarge to full software RAID-1; 4 GB virtual memory...

Elton, glad to know it worked for you.  Seems like it works for some and not
for others. (Have you checked your "stock" kernel's config file to see what
it says?) My attempt to install root+boot on RAID-1 got me a halted boot and
a blank screen except for two characters: "LI" (I am using LILO 22.6).  I
searched on that symptom and found only references to someone trying to set
up a dual boot with Windows -- not useful to me since there's no Billware on
this box.

Because some folks can make this work and others can't, I think there's
probably some software switch setting that is critical, but not consciously
appreciated -- although it does seem odd to me that a stock kernel could
boot from RAID when it is configured as a loadable module.
Is your RAID a pure software one, or do you have a FAKERAID (e.g. Promise)
that gets detected and handled smoothly?

Frank P. Hart                                   NC State University
Dept. of Electrical and Computer Engineering    P.O. Box 7914
EGRC Room 438   Telephone: (919) 513-7261       Raleigh, NC  27695-7914