Re: How can sarge survive a Windows reinstall?

On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 04:03:44PM -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 27, 2005 at 04:18:44PM -0500, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 07:10:59AM +1100, David Pastern wrote:
> > > Hendrik,
> > >
> > > My suggestion is to boot off Installer disk #1,
> >
> > Will the netinstall disk do?  Or does it have to be disk #1 of the full
> > sarge CD distribution?
> Yes, the netinstall is fine, as is anything else that has a kernel
> which will accept a root= parameter.
>
> > > and rather than start an
> > > install, type:
> > >
> > > rescue root=/dev/hd*
> > >
> > > where * of course is where your kernel resides.  Shouldn't matter which
> > > one.  Here is a bit more information:
> > >
> > > http://forum.libranet.com/viewtopic.php?t=5485
> The kernel is on the cd, root= specifies the root partition, which
> needs to have /etc/, /bin/, etc (pun intended).
>
> > Now I know how drive and partition numbers work in grub, but just
> > which partition am I to specify on this command?  The root of my
> > sarge system?  of my woody system?  I still use both, at least, I
> > will until sarge becomes stable.  Or the root of the partition that
> > contains the /boot/grub/menu.lst file?
> Partition numbers are different to grub/lilo/kernel.  When the kernel
> accepts "root=/dev/hda1", that's just for convenience that it doesn't
> use a completely different naming scheme.

I know the partition numberings are different.  I wasn't asking how grub
numbers the partition I want to specify in the root- parameter.  I was asking which partition I should specify.  I gather it's the partition that contains the
/boot/grub/menu.lst file?  (which partition happens to be the root of the
file system of *one* of my two linuxes.)