Re: Cannot boot xp

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 01:34:04PM +0100, Thierry Chatelet wrote:
> About a week ago I installed a i386 testing machine, and enjoyed it. But
> today I tried to boot xp and I got the following message from grub:
> Filesystem type unknown,  partition type 0x7.
> and it would not boot xp.
> I tried to go like the following:
> cfdisk and then change type to ntfs either 86 or 87.
You are changing just the partition type ID number, but not
reformatting (aka reinitializing, ..) that partition?

> I have not lost anything yet, I can brows the windowws partition.
 From Linux, or Windows?

> Can I fix that without re-installing xp?
Can you change ijt back to whatever it used to be?
(What did it used to be?)

> If not, can I re-install xp without losing debian? (I think I read
> somewhere it is possible from within grub??)
Yes; (in fact, that order is recommended).  Just keep a Linux
bootdisk/CD handy.  Install XP; make sure to put it on the right
partition (this assumes that there is still an Advanced
Don't-Use-My-Whole-Disk-Show-Me-Fdisk mode).  Install windows.  Then
boot back to linux using the bootcd (rescbf24 root=/dev/hda1 or some
such incantation).  Then modify grub/lilo to boot from the windows
partition as well (lilo has an example for this on the bottom of
lilo.conf).

Alternately, you can do the equivalent thing from within windows; I
believe you have to write out a 512 byte bootsector to a file (easy to
do from Linux..), and then edit boot.ini to reference that file.

--
Justin Pryzby
whois jgalt