Mouse not reconized under Xserver

Well, well
I was triing to prove to a friend that debian linux was better was Bill Gate products. But I could not get xserver to work..... with 'a' mouse plug on psaux device, ie 9 ppins staff. I tried every things I could think off, even pluging my, ( I was installing this new system on a friend's machine), USB mouse with a 9 pin connector, then xserver crashed. It is difficult to give you the information because I can connect in graphical mode to the net.... and send you the appropriated log files.
So.. I will have to tell my friend to buy a new mouse, or to give up.
On a britter note I have Linux Debian GNU on my machine for one and a half month, and I dont think I will ever go back to Microsoft products. Thank's people you did a great job...
Thierry