Re: no inittab file after debian sarge net-inst

On Friday 11 Feb 2005 16:47, Rhys Hardwick wrote:
> Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 05:02:02PM +0100, Macskasi Csaba wrote:
> >> Write the inittab yourself! Or copy it from your favorite system...
> >> This should not be a problem...
> >
> > It should not be a problem in that it should not happen.  Figuring out
> > what is borked is part II.
>
> Right, inittab exists, and looks very sane. I might have made a little
> mistake and put etc on a separate partition. I take it that it is not a
> good idea. My current theory is to copy it all into the root dir and try
> again!
>
> If this is correct, and anyone wants to tell me how silly I have been,
> please, feel free :))

It's learning from the experience that matters ;-)

You /can/ put your whole system on one partition and for a client machine
that's probably fine, but in production boxes there are several
considerations:

/var contains logs and databases, these can vary and can fill up.
If /var is on a seperate partition, and a log or a db runs wild, your
partition fills up but your system can still run, and you can still ssh in to
clear the mess. Ditto /tmp.

Putting /home on a seperate partition makes sense too, if you need to
re-install your OS you can just ignore the /home partition and mount it
afterwards. It also makes applying quotas a lot simpler.

Personally I mount /usr/local on a seperate partition and put my bespoke
installs there, so that if there is a rebuild I can rejig that into place
afterwards, same as /home.

If you put /home on a seperate drive then you can just pull that drive out of
the box and install it on a new machine, in the case of a major hardware
upgrade. Then you can replace the old drive at your leisure, minimum
downtime.

If you have plenty of spare gigs, leaving some partitioned and formatted but
unmounted can be very useful in getting you out of a tight spot sometime in
the future.

My 2 bits worth

--
Bob Hutchinson