Re: Is Sarge a mix of testing/unstable really?

Vineet Kumar wrote:
* Santiago Vila (sanvila@unex.es) [041227 10:28]:

On Mon, 27 Dec 2004, Thierry wrote:

APT::Default-Release "sarge";

Do you actually have a line in /etc/apt/sources.list saying "sarge"?

If not, I recommend that you drop your apt.conf entirely and modify
sources.list exclusively so that it reads "sarge", and nothing else.

Here it is now :

deb http://debian.ethz.ch/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib
deb-src http://debian.ethz.ch/debian/ sarge main non-free contrib

deb http://debian.ethz.ch/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/ sarge/updates main contrib non-free

sarge and testing are *currently* the same thing, but this information
is not "hardcoded" into apt, so don't expect apt to know that "sarge"
in apt.conf refers to the line saying "testing" in your sources.list.

Not exactly.  The APT::Default-Release config item matches an "Archive:"
line specified in the Release file from an apt archive.  Currently, the
files I see in /var/lib/apt/lists for sarge look like this:

Archive: testing
Component: main
Origin: Debian
Label: Debian
Architecture: i386

even though I have sarge specified in sources.list.  The point is that
the apt config item matches the info specified in the Release file,
independent of how that was retrieved (which is what the URL specifiers
in sources.list are for).

Wonderfully explained! Thanks !
If I correctly understand, my current APT::Default-Release "sarge"; line is purely ignored , and only a APT::Default-Release "testing"; would mean something?

I think the best way to get what you want is to have lines for sarge and
unstable in sources.list (not "testing") and specify your apt
preferences to prefer stable, testing, unstable, in that order.

Sorry to bother, but would you be so kind to provide me with a working example of an apt preferences file that does what you suggest? I've never tried to use it before and I fear mixing priorities with the default apt priorities in a way that will screw me. I'm already feeling screwed up because now I am almost convinced that my server is really following unstable and not sarge (highest version numbers) , and I'm considering a downgrade to sarge. Note that the only reason I added "unstable" to my sources.list was to retrieve some isolated packages with few or no dependencies.

 This
way, it will default to packages from testing (sarge) before the
release.  After the release, it will still prefer packages from a
testing archive, but there won't be any in your sources.list.  Now
stable will be preferred over unstable.  Using just "Default-Release:
testing" would break after the release, since the sarge archive will now
say "Archive: stable", which won't match, so the default preferences
will apply, which means unstable, since those will be the highest
version numbers.

Again a wonderful explanation. I think all is clear :)

Cheers
Thierry