Re: No fd0

On Thu, 9 Dec 2004 10:18:04 -0800
jeff <debian@waysoft.com> wrote:
> I had occasion to use a floppy disk, and noticed that /dev/fd0 does
> not exist.  /dev does have an "fd" symbolic, which points to
> /proc/self/fd, and there is a /.dev directory which DOES include an
> fd0 device.  I'm running a stock 2.6.8-1-686 kerne, which includes
> CONFIG_BLOCK_DEV_FD=m.

I guess you use udev, which will create the /dev/fd0 node only once the
floppy module is loaded. The tricky thing is that the floppy module will
be autoloaded only when you access /dev/fd0 -- which is an issue, has it
does not exist.

To solve this problem, just load the floppy module with
	modprobe floppy
as root *before* mounting your floppy. You could also always load the
floppy driver at boot time; to achieve this, use modconf or manually
edit/etc/modules.

Hope this helps.

--
Benjamin Sigonneau