Screen 4.0.2 & xterm resizing

I've recently set up a new server running Sarge (upgraded from Woody).
I've noticed various problems with resizing my xterm or Putty windows.
I've performed various tests to try to isolate the problem, and I think
it's related to Screen.  Working from a plain xterm, I do the following:

- start w/80x24 window
- ssh to sarge box
- run a screen-based program (mutt)
- maximize the xterm window - mutt adapts correctly
- restore to 80x24 - mutt adapts correctly, again
- exit mutt - all is well

However, if I add screen to the mix, the problems begin:

- start w/80x24 window
- ssh to sarge box
- run screen
- run mutt
- maximize - (mutt/screen still thinks we're @ 80x24)
- restore - have to do a ctrl-L to correct the display

I've also checked the output of "stty -a" while running screen, and it
reports 80x24, even after maximizing the window.

Is this likely a configuration issue, or should I report it as a bug?

I've tried the same test above on Woody running screen-3.9.11, and it
seems to work flawlessly.

Thanks!
-James